The newest instalment in the Conjuring franchise, Annabelle: Creation, opened in theatres this weekend and while it came in at No. 1 for the weekend, it came up short compared to its predecessors. It made $35 million for the Friday-Sunday period, which is the lowest opening for all four movies, behind Annabelle ($37.1 million), The Conjuring ($41.9 million), and The Conjuring 2 ($40.4 million).
Still, $35 million is a "strong start," according to Entertainment Weekly, which supplied all the numbers. Another thing to note is that Annabelle: Creation was produced on a $15 million budget.
Rounding out the top five movies at the US box office this weekend were Dunkirk ($11.4 million), The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature ($8.9 million), The Dark Tower ($7.9 million), and The Emoji Movie ($6.6 million).
Go to Entertainment Weekly to see a full breakdown of this weekend’s US box office performance.
August 11-13 US Box Office Estimates
- Annabelle: Creation — $35 million
- Dunkirk — $11.4 million
- The Nut Job 2: Nutty By Nature — $8.9 million
- The Dark Tower — $7.9 million
- The Emoji Movie — $6.6 million
- Girls Trip — $6.5 million
- Spider-Man: Homecoming — $6.1 million
- Kidnap — $ 5.2 million
- The Glass Castle — $4.9 million
- Atomic Blonde — $4.6 million